Feeling Appreciated

With the arrival of baby Elaine, my workload seems to have quadrupled. I find myself wondering in my 30 minutes of free time whether to shower and brush my teeth or to sleep. Life has gotten busy enough that I have found it necessary to prioritize things that came to me so easily before. Our house is rarely clean, laundry is a mountain, and it seems that everybody needs me. The result: a sulky me feeling unappreciated.

I read this in the Ensign today and I thought I might share it with all of you who also might feel unappreciated once in awhile ... or, every day.

Women should be women and not babies that need petting and correction all the time. I know we like to be appreciated but if we do not get all the appreciation which we think is our due, what matters?We know the Lord has laid high responsibility upon us, and there is not a wish or a desire that the Lord has implanted in our hearts in righteousness but will be realized, and the greatest good we can do to ourselves and each other is to refine and cultivate ourselves in everything that is good and ennoblingto qualify us for those responsibilities. -Eliza R. Snow (Quoted my Julie B. Beck)

That was exactly what I needed to hear. Nobody knows the sacrifices and the difficulties I have every day, but nobody needs to. The Lord knows and He is making me into what I need to be through my efforts, my struggles, and my faith. My responsibilities, although they might feel heavy at times, are mine to bear and to value. I am thankful for the respobsiblities that I have. They are where I have found my greatest happiness.

8 comments:

KQ said...

I needed that too. Thanks!

Cerah said...

Don't you just love how in just a few words, we are reminded (even if it is something that we really don't want to hear) that we have been entrusted with much that does matter...and you're right, no one else needs to know our woes, for the Lord knows them, and he send Angels to strengthen our souls - whether in word or prayer or a tangible hug or meal. Have a great day!

Hester Family said...

When I heard that quote in conference it really made me reflect on those exact same things. Thanks for bringing it back up...appreciation will come, it just may take another 20 years when our children have children.

Unknown said...

Wow, that is an awesome quote! Yeah, I needed that too. :) Thanks for both of your recent comments. I loved them both. The first was refreshingly honest and I fully anticipate to feel the same way. Even though of course we are so grateful and everything, It is all about survival at the beginning isn't it?! And the transitions are always a little rough aren't they?! I laughed when I read it because I have heard so many people say that the third is the hardest. It becomes chaos. In fact my mom who had seven said, "After three it is all the same." So no worries at all. I have been nervous and excited. I am hoping that if I am realistic about how hard it will be that it won't be such a shocker. hahaha. Also, I already have a mountainous laundry pile, so that won't be anything new. hehehe

I heard some women (mothers of teenagers) in our ward say recently that "life seems to get harder the longer you are on the earth." See what we have to look forward too?! lol. ;) ;)

Hugs, Heather

Crystal and Brad Barger said...

We all do so much good each day! Life is not supposed to be easy but it is always worth it. It is the little things most of the time that catch me off guard and make me realize again (and again) that what I'm doing is the right thing. Like this morning - Spencer just ran up to me three separate times and gave me a hug and said "hug." Life is good!

Heather said...

I love you!

Lisa said...

Hi...I pushed the "next blog" button for the first time and your blog showed up. It was a great surprise to see that you are also a member of the church. I really appreciated the quote that you put up. It helped to put things in perspective for me and gave me a little boost! Thanks!

Elizabeth said...

Hi, Alice! I loved that quote too and felt my bit of shame at its truthfulness to my life/attitude. Elaine is so cute and I love the beach bed laundry basket!

Post a Comment